Dr Karen Kan
BDSc (Melb) MDSc (Melb) FRACDS FRACDS (Paed) FICD
Karen is an experienced specialist paediatric dentist who established Kew Paediatric Group. Her philosophy is that children’s visits to the dentist should be positive and fun. Karen’s passion and commitment to providing excellence in the provision of comprehensive dental care has formed the heart of the practice and creates a welcoming and supportive environment.
Karen graduated from The University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Dental Science and a Master of Dental Science. She has dual fellowships in general dental practice and paediatric dentistry specialist dental practice from the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, as well as a fellowship from the International College of Dentists.
Dedicated to her specialty, Karen presents lectures on children’s dentistry to her dental colleagues and allied health professionals, in addition to speaking at mothers groups and kindergartens. Karen has been an examiner, lecturer and clinical demonstrator to dental students and dentists training to be paedodontists at the Melbourne Dental School. She has held appointments at the University of Minnesota’s School of Dentistry in the USA, the Royal Children’s Hospital and the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne.
Karen has a strong interest in “chalky teeth” (Developmental Dental Defects = DDD or D3) and has recently participated in a collaborative study about Molar Hypomineralisation (chalky molars) published in The International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. She is a foundation member of The D3 Group and continues to assist with education and advocacy initiatives.
Karen is a Member of the:
- Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry
- International Association of Paediatric Dentistry
- Australian Dental Association
- Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons
- International College of Dentists
Karen participates actively in her profession. Her past contributions include:
- Vice president of the Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry
- Examiner in paediatric dentistry for the Australian Dental Council
- Member of the Specialist Practice Advisory Committee, Dental Practice Board of Victoria
- President, vice president and treasurer of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry Victorian Branch
- Chairperson, secretary/treasurer and student advisor of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons Victorian Regional Committee
- Editor of Synopses which is the newsletter of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- In her spare time she is a dental volunteer in Cambodia